Pages


Thursday, November 22, 2012

Undeadly by Michele Vail

Undeadly
(The Reaper Diaries, #1)
by Michele Vail
Released |November 20th 2012 by Harlequin Teen|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads

The day I turned 16, my boyfriend-to-be died. I brought him back to life. Then things got a little weird...
Molly Bartolucci wants to blend in, date hottie Rick and keep her zombie-raising abilities on the down-low. Then the god Anubis chooses her to become a reaper-and she accidentally undoes the work of another reaper, Rath. Within days, she’s shipped off to the Nekyia Academy, an elite school that trains the best necromancers in the world. And her personal reaping tutor? Rath. Who seems to hate her guts.
Rath will be watching closely to be sure she completes her first assignment-reaping Rick, the boy who should have died. The boy she still wants to be with. To make matters worse, students at the academy start turning up catatonic, and accusations fly-against Molly. The only way out of this mess? To go through hell. Literally.

Undeadly is one of the books I've been really excited to get my hands on. I was really intrigued by the whole story line of the book and thought it was right up my alley. I did enjoy the book, but it kind of fell a little flat for me. I thought some aspects of the book could have been a whole lot better than what it was.


The thing I like about the book was the whole history of the reapers. It was different than how other books I've read go about the reaper idea. I liked how there were different levels/categories of reapers. I thought that idea was really interesting and I liked it. Now with the characters, I only had a select few that I liked. Rath, for instance, had the potential to be an awesome character because I liked him. All the elements were there, but he was barely in the book! The one character that I liked and who seemed to be playing a major role, was barely there! That kind of pissed me off a little bit. I also felt his character was a little bit under developed because I really didn't know his role. I know he was suppose to 'help' Molly through her reaper training, but is he suppose to be a potential love interest or what? I couldn't tell.

And that leads me to Molly, the main character. I didn't like her at all. I thought Molly was a childish character. The way talked, acted, and responded to situations annoyed me. I felt she was shallow and only thought of herself. For instance, the situation with her dad, was just too childish for me. And the situation with Rick. The whole Rick thing was so obvious. I figured that out from the get go because it was easy to put two and two together. And as I was reading, I was trying to figure out how Molly could see it.

Overall, I thought the story was okay. It had its enjoyable moments, but I felt the book could of been a whole lot better. I will probably continue on and read book two because the ending was pretty interesting. Thanks so much to Netgalley for providing me with a review copy! All thoughts are my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I have read a lot of reviews for this book and it seems to be getting the same response from all readers. The idea of the reapers was very unique, Rath was awesome but hardly made an appearance and Molly...well to put it kindly was annoying. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should read this book or not. But, I'm glad the story got your attention even if other things didn't! Hopefully the sequel is much better for you! :D

    Brilliant Review! :D

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, i'm confused right now, i really want to read this book after read the synopsis, but now i will think it again. Thank you for your honest review

    ReplyDelete