Pages


Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Kill Order by James Dashner

The Kill Order
(Maze Runner Prequel)
by James Dashner
Released |August 14th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers|
Edition |E-ARC|
Source |Netgalley|
The prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.
Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.
Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there’s something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it’s mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.
Mark and Trina are convinced there’s a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they’re determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you’re worth more dead than alive.


I don't think I've ever read a full blown prequel before, but everyone knows that I loved The Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner. I have to be honest, I didn't even know there was going to be a prequel to the The Maze Runner trilogy. So when I seen Kill Order on Netgalley, I did a little happy dance :) I didn't know how I would feel about it, but...Here's what I thought.

I really liked the whole idea of this book. You get to see how everything got started, which was actually pretty amazing, but also very sad. (From the Sun Flares that destroyed the world to the The Flare that infected the living) At first I didn't know how I felt about the whole present to past point of view switch. But, then I realized the greater role it played in the story of us learning how everything got started. 

The characters, I enjoyed. Trina and Mark were similar to Thoma and Teresa in some ways, but not all. Their bond as friends were something that I enjoyed reading about. I also liked Alec, he was hilarious at times, but he also took the role as leader. It was kind of weird seeing an adult take the lead, when in the Maze Runner, it was nothing but kids.

But there are some cons to this book. 

I don't know what it was, but I found that as I was reading it, I couldn't stay focused. I'd read like 40 pages and then my mind would start to wonder. That's the reason why I rated this 4 stars. I also felt like there wasn't enough story to the book at times. I mean don't get me wrong, I love a good action packed book, but I felt that there was a little too much action and not enough 'meat' to the story. (for lack of a better word)

But in other aspects, I now have some unanswered questions. The ending of the book which is basically where Thomas first came into play. Was DeeDee Thomas's mother or was she the lady who came to pick up Thomas? Or was that not her at all? Did she even make and survive? I am so confused!

But overall, I did enjoy the book and the story. It just took a little while to get into. Thanks to Netgalley for approving me of the E-ARC. All thoughts are my honest opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment