Pages


Monday, June 4, 2012

Dark Companion by Marta Acosta

Dark Companion
by Marta Acosta
Released |July 3rd 2012 by Tom Doherty Associates|
Edition |E-ARC|
Source |NetGalley|
Orphaned at the age of six, Jane Williams has grown up in a series of foster homes, learning to survive in the shadows of life. Through hard work and determination, she manages to win a scholarship to the exclusive Birch Grove Academy. There, for the first time, Jane finds herself accepted by a group of friends. She even starts tutoring the headmistress’s gorgeous son, Lucien. Things seem too good to be true.
They are.

The more she learns about Birch Grove’s recent past, the more Jane comes to suspect that there is something sinister going on. Why did the wife of a popular teacher kill herself? What happened to the former scholarship student, whose place Jane took? Why does Lucien’s brother, Jack, seem to dislike her so much?

As Jane begins to piece together the answers to the puzzle, she must find out why she was brought to Birch Grove—and what she would risk to stay there….
This book was something so out of the ordinary for me :) It was a good book, but it had some very weird and different elements to it that I have never read in a book before.

It's hard for me to described my thoughts on this book. It was weird at times, but then at other times, I was really enjoying it. Maybe because the thing with the birch trees kind of creeped me out. Yes, I said I was creeped out by trees! But this book was wonderful because it also talked about real issues that some people struggle with, addiction for instance.

My favorite characters in this book would have to be Mary Violet and Jack! They were so fun and exciting! I was always entertained when these two came around. Mary Violet, the fun, poetic, and bubbly friend. Everyone has a friend like, who can make you smile at any moment. I cracked up every time she burst out with poetry. She was a great addition to the story! Jack was adorable! I loved his character from the very beginning :) He with his laughter and jokes and his dorky comments. He was just so cute!

I also liked Jane, even though at times she seemed a little naive. She had a terrible childhood and you could relate to her determination to do better for herself! And I really like that about her. The thing with her and Lucky, i did not like. I did not like him in the beginning or even in the end. Kind of a weird play on vampire-ism. lol That was a little weird for me too. But in a 'interesting' sort of way.

The only thing I didn't like, is that at times I would be confused and wouldn't know where the story was going. I sometimes I felt like the side characters would disappear and then reappear in random moments.

This book did have some action and I really enjoyed the romance with the boy I adored :) The ending was amazing! When everything was figured out, I thought that was amazing :) Also the ending with Jack and Jane! I loved it.

I do recommend this book and hope that everyone gives it a try! I really enjoyed it and thought it was a good read :) I would really like to thank netgalley for the E-ARC. All thoughts are my honest opinion!


No comments:

Post a Comment